Bokashi Update – March 26, 2008
Today I added some of my finished bokashi mix to my large indoor worm bin. What was interesting was that it was from the bucket that had the poorly fitting lid, and I must say the material didn’t smell nearly so pleasant as when I checked on it last week (after it had been brewing for several weeks). While it brewed I had the other full bucket (which does have a tightly fitting lid) sitting on top of it, helping to keep it sealed. Now that it’s been exposed to air it is starting to smell like a regular anaerobic mess of food waste!
Regardless, I know it will end up as a tasty buffet for my worms, although they may not be interested in moving into it right away – we shall see. I added a layer of shredded cardboard to the bin before adding the food waste to provide a bit of a buffer zone for the worms, in case they are not happy with the new material.
I opened up the other bokashi bucket for a whiff and it still smelled quite good, so I suspect the odours are in fact due to a changing of the ecosystem as a result of oxygen getting in.
Anyway, I’ll report back once I see what happens in the bin!
[tags]bokashi, worm composting, vermicomposting, worm bin, composting, effective microorganisms, em, friendly microorganisms[/tags]